- Lynson on Preschool: The Answer to Los Angeles’s Academic Troubles?
- Kimberly on Preschool: The Answer to Los Angeles’s Academic Troubles?
- Becky Shaw on A neighborhood icon survives the swirl of urban change
- poop on Olvera Street and the urbanization of Los Angeles
- Jacqueline Vargas on Former Fremont High teachers join charter school movement
Tag Archives: mt vernon junior high
Before Kyle Hunsberger passes out a letter to be signed by his students’ parents, he asks his class what language do their parents speak. “How many speak Spanish?” he asks, as several seventh-grade hands go up. “How many of your parents speak English?” he insists, and more hands go up as a couple more for when he asks, “And how many of you need both?”
This is how Hunsberger, an Algebra teacher, and the rest of the staff at Johnnie Cochran Middle School disseminate information to their multilingual student population. Continue reading